Countdown to April 29 to PERMANENTLY close M. R. Reiter. Ask the board to see the 6 point plan.

Monday, August 11, 2008

But they're somewhere in the top ten...

This story came across my screen earlier today. Check out the sidebar story.

I am forced to concede that Morrisville does not have the worst behaved school board members in the world.


MEETING HALTED BECAUSE OF CONDUCT
As members of the public listened to a complex policy discussion on charter schools, Nevada Board of Education member Greg Nance dangled a piece of jewelry in the face of his newlywed wife, ringing a tiny bell on a bracelet as she giggled.

The distraction caused fellow board member Cindy Reid to call for an immediate halt to Saturday's video-conference of the state Board of Education; all members but Reid and Nance were meeting in Carson City.

"I don't know what to say," Reid said from a conference room on East Sahara Avenue in Las Vegas. "I'm embarrassed the public has to watch this. This is so inappropriate."

Nance, who represents District 5, was unapologetic. "I will entertain my wife. I love my wife," he said, adding that he was only answerable to the members of his Las Vegas district.

Bill Irvin, a deputy attorney general who advises the board, urged Nance to follow decorum. "I will tell you I love my wife, but she's not sitting next to me," Irvin said.

Nance responded that there was no law saying his wife could not sit next to him at board meetings. "Therefore, bite me!" Nance told the attorney.

Vice President Anthony Ruggiero, who was acting president for the absent President Marcia Washington, advised members of the public to file complaints and continued the meeting.

During a break, Nance, 49, told the Review-Journal that he married the 20-year-old woman 12 days ago. She has cerebral palsy and came to the meeting in a motorized wheelchair.

He said "too much partying and rock 'n' roll" over his honeymoon explained why he could not always stay awake or hear what was going on.

Because he was dozing during one policy discussion, Reid demanded that he take back his vote on his issue. The board agreed with Reid, but the issue passed by a wide margin anyway.

Nance met his future wife last fall at a nursing home where he was recovering from a heart attack. He said the heart attack temporarily left him dead but he returned to consciousness just before the embalmer was about to treat his body.

His wife was a patient at the same nursing home, he said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Morrisville, some current politicians have already been embalmed.