Countdown to April 29 to PERMANENTLY close M. R. Reiter. Ask the board to see the 6 point plan.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fortune Telling in Morrisville

The Morrisville School District is performing the same dance I've seen in business quite often, and even participated in a few times. The organization is making the transformation from a vibrant and viable entity to something we talk about from the dim mists of the "good old days."

Sometimes the death throes come in a blaze of glory, as we learned recently with Bear Stearns. The comet blazes mightily and flames out leaving everyone stunned and confused. No, MSD is not going to go out with a bang, but with the metaphorical whimper.

The board of directors (our intrepid Stop the School board, also known as the Emperor and his Accomplices) is providing uncertain and confusing direction for the future. Remember the Frankenfield question: "What is your plan?" In every single job interview and at least once a year in my annual reviews, the question is asked: "What is your plan? Where do you see yourself in five years?" Everyone works toward a goal. That goal has to be defined by the vision makers at the top.

Since the vision is undefined, we have to read between the lines, and the lines speak of destruction: Don't hire teachers or staff. Lower the taxes, no matter the cost. Close the schools. Tuition out the students. Treat the administration like untrustworthy lackeys. That attitude filters through the organization and sets off the alarm bells of self-preservation in everyone. When they start asking the "five years" question of themselves, they are faced with what the district is expected to look like in 2013. "It's the end of the world as we know it" is not an unexpected conclusion.

These people have families, homes, cars, and visions and plans of their own for their lives. They all depend on an expectation of continued employment to make these dreams come true.

So now, those who are able or willing will be making the circuit on Monster.com and sending out their resumes. We're going to see a drain of some of the best and the brightest from MSD leaving for other greener pastures.

That happens all the time, but the reverse side of the exodus is that replacements come in. Here's where the dynamics fall apart. The future of MSD is cloudy and murky, and even the medium on Pennsylvania Avenue can see that. I think Helen Keller would have had a 90% chance in seeing it.

Imagine an applicant coming into a board meeting to see what the district is like. I would expect that a cartoonish outline of the person would be left in the wall as they made the hastiest exit known to man since Bugs Bunny.

The first interview question would be, "Do you want to work for the Emperor and his Board of Accomplices?" How many of us would answer yes? Tends to cut down the interviewing time, doesn't it?

Let's fast forward a year from now. Who replaced any of the departed people? Were their positions left vacant and the "do more with less" slack taken up by the survivors? How many of these survivors saw the handwriting on the wall and lit out for greener pastures of their own? No disrespect meant to any future district hires, but what of the caliber of the people who came in? We're not paying the best wages and overall job security is pretty minimal.

It was easy to attract applicants to the RMS Titanic when it was the indestructible behemoth. When you hire on a crew to staff a doomed ship, the applicant flow diminishes slightly.

Can this still be reversed? Possibly. Without more parents and concerned taxpayers showing up to challenge the self-destructive behavior of this board, this is the future. The PDE or the state appointed undertakers will just sift through the wreckage. Let's remember that our kids are in that wreckage.

10 comments:

john ceneviva said...

In April of this year, I heard that a math position had opened up. I applied for it. I had an interview scheduled. I thought that I would have a good chance since I had substituted in the district while earning my math certification, knew a few people that might be in the interview and heard good things about Ms. Gehrens.
I had also interviewed at New Hope Academy but hadn't started working there, yet.
I decided to not even interview because of the school board. I'm glad I didn't.
The teaching community is sometimes like a small town and I know a few teachers looking for positions. I would never recommend working for MSD and not because of anyone in the administration or the staff.
I may present my arguments with flurry, hyperbole and attempted humor, but I believe every word.
I wish I didn't and I hope that I'm completely wrong, but from everything I've seen, this school board wants to be the last.
I believe this "tax-cutting" board will be one of the most expensive we've ever seen. I can only pray I'm wrong.

Anonymous said...

You're wrong.

Anonymous said...

How is he wrong???

A parent of a special ed student on another post already has their lawsuit ready to go when their child is denied services. And they will be denied services, since there is not going to be enough money in this budget to pay for them.

This district is about to have the stuff sued out of them.

Last time I checked, lawsuits were expensive....and we are not going to win any.

So I think this board will be THE most expensive ever seen.

Peter said...

Maybe we can consult the new Fortune Teller on Pennsylvania Ave. The sign says there's a $10 special.

Anonymous said...

No, $10 is too much. Break out the old magic 8-ball. It was good enough for us when we were young. It's good enough for now.

...ask again later...


...my sources say no...


...maybe...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for nailing it again, StS.
"We're pro-education." "We want what's best for the kids." "We're thinking about the long term costs to this town." "I'm just one person up here." "Okay, I hear you."

But…
Quack.
Waddle.
Swim.
What is it?
It's a duck.

Peter said...

But joeyouknow, perhaps it isn't a real duck, maybe it is only a stuffed duck with a bandaged leg.

Oh, that joke was lame.

Jon said...

Touch of Evil?

Starring:

Orson Welles as ... The Morrisville School District

and

Marlene Dietrich as ...Bill Hellmann, CPA

http://video.google.com/videoplay
?docid=5866853750912246909&q
=touch+of+evil
+marlene
+dietrich&ei
=tm5rSJO6I5zaqAKqoqGVDw

Save The School said...

Jon's link

Anonymous said...

It's a witch!!! She weighs the same as a duck!! Burn her!!!

"Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?"