Countdown to April 29 to PERMANENTLY close M. R. Reiter. Ask the board to see the 6 point plan.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Re-registration update

An update on the re-registration campaign from BucksLocalNews.com

Does anyone know how many were found and "purged" this time around?


Board wants Trenton kids out of schools
By Petra Chesner Schlatter Posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008

The crackdown to find youths from outside the Morrisville school district, who attend school here, started in early August.

Morrisville School Board Member Jack Buckman said the school district has been conducting a re-registration program to try to find those students. The results of re-registration are not in yet.

"They're looking for anybody who doesn't belong there," Buckman said.

"We believe there is a problem," he said. "People are leaving students off in Morrisville with out-of-state plates I've witnessed it Cars leave students off at the bus stop."

Buckman said, "If they catch them, there is a tuition fee. They have to pay $12,500."

The re-registration is being done for elementary, middle and high school levels. Every student in the entire district has to re-register.

"It's important to the people in Morrisville," Buckman said. Taxpayers don't want to pay for a student's tuition if they do not live in Morrisville, he noted.

Buckman said re-registration, which is not done every year, should be conducted every three years.

Volunteers have been manning the re-registration tables at the Middle/Senior High School. A school district staffer taught a class to volunteers about the re-registration process. Staff members have been overseeing the re-registration.

PROVING RESIDENCY

The bottom line is residency must be proven in order to attend Morrisville schools.

Dr. Beth Yonson, superintendent of Morrisville school district, sent a letter to parents and posted the letter on the Web site.

All students, who will attend school in the district in the fall and were in kindergarten to 11th grade during the 2007-2008 school years, were required to re-register. New students were not included in the re-registration.

Class schedules and assignments will not be sent until students are re-registered, Yonson said.

Parents were required to bring identification in the form of a PA state-issued I.D. card or a valid PA driver's license, passport or military I.D.

Four proofs of residency had to be shown and had to have the same address information. One of the following items was required: a moving permit, deed, 2008 tax bill, mortgage payment bill/booklet, or lease.

Accepted for proof of residency were: a deed or agreement of sale, per capita tax bill or paid receipt, moving permit, bank statement, automobile registration, lease-verified by apartment superintendent, welfare identification, current cable or other utility statement, property tax bill or paid tax receipt, W-2 state-ment/IRS statement or tax return, automobile/tenant insurance statement.

Parents were required to provide the name of each of the children, the grade they would enter in September 2008 and the school they would be attending.

PREVIOUSLY PURGED

School Board Member Buckman said re-registration was previously done in the school district. "Ten years back, they did one and purged a lot of students," he said.

Three years ago, another re-registration took place, but the school district "didn't purge many," according to Buckman.

"You have to state you're supporting a child in your household if you are out of state," Buckman noted.

In the past, some parents were not able to prove residency after the tax season.

Last year, Morrisville school district employees found students who did not have the right paperwork. "They're always looking at residency records and requirements," Buckman noted.

Morrisville school district does not conduct re-registration every year.

There are an estimated 950 students who attend Morrisville schools. Buck-man said Morrisville has to deal with a small number compared to a school district like Pennsbury.

Buckman said Bensalem Township and Pennsbury school districts have had problems with students, who do not live in the school district.

He noted he has seen people driving cars with New Jersey license plates dropping off students at the Park 'N Ride near I-95 in Lower Makefield Township.

"It could be a case of joint custody. They could be company cars - you don't know," Buckman said.

Superintendent Yonson said, "When someone moves, they may start showing up late for school on a consistent basis. That gives us a red flag. There were three students last year."

If the school district finds out someone has moved, that person has to register in their own school district.

"If we find out that parents are sending children to our district, we tell them they have to leave," she said. "We will send them a bill. We're basically saying you have to take your child out."

Yonson said she does not expect too many students will be found to be non-residents.

"I know the last time we did this, we really didn't find anyone who didn't belong here," she said. "There really was not much of a difference."

Yonson said, "There's a big controversy" about the re-registration. A lot of parents are very angry about this. A number of them have lived here a long time."

Yonson said the "rationale of the board is they're trying to listen to the people. "It is quite costly to educate students," she said. "If we're educating them, they should be the children of Morrisville and not from somewhere else."

For more information, call the Morrisville school district at 215-736-5930 or visit www.mv.org.

9 comments:

Ken said...

"Ten years back, they did one and purged a lot of students," he said.

I dispute this as unsupported conjecture. I would like to see the proof of this. I maintain that the purge 10 years ago also turned up basically little.

This whole idea of seeing a car with out of state plates means out of district students is ludicrous. If a purge 10 years ago turned up nothing (or even 1 or 2), and a purge 3 years ago turned up nothing, and this purge turns up nothing, then it would stand to reason that this whole thing is a figment of someone's imagination.

Stop wasting our time.

By the way, I love this statement:
Buckman said, "If they catch them, there is a tuition fee. They have to pay $12,500."

$12,500? OK, Mr. High Public Official, isn't it time to complain about this? If the so-called cost of educating a Morrisville student is $22,000, why are we giving out of district students a %43 discount on tuition? Something isn't right here.

Anonymous said...

Where are the bus stops in Morrisville?

Morris said...

Here's another question:

What's Jack Buckman doing hanging around the Park 'N Ride in Lower Makefield?

Anonymous said...

What would happen if a Morrisville sports star was found to be living outside of the district?

Anonymous said...

Q: What's Jack Buckman doing hanging around the Park 'N Ride in Lower Makefield?

A: It's his new job as a parking lot attendant, since he was layed off from Sears Hardware.

Q: What would happen if a Morrisville sports star was found to be living outside of the district?

A: He would be charged $12,500 and be sent back out onto the field.

More importantly, what would happen if a Morrisville sports star was found to be living outside of the district AND was failing a class?

A: See answer above.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Is he suggesting that the students being dropped off at the Park N Ride are coming to Morrisville? Perhaps on the Magic School Bus? Or are they being dropped off at the Park N Ride, commuting to New York, then sneaking into Morrisville from New York. And an important point is missed in this article. Many parents objected to the re-registration because the privacy of our children and families was not respected in the process.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Jon, beating you to this one-

Every day I get in the queue (Too much, the Magic Bus)
To get on the bus that takes me to you (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I'm so nervous, I just sit and smile (Too much, the Magic Bus)
Your house is only another mile (Too much, the Magic Bus)
Thank you, driver, for getting me here (Too much, the Magic Bus)
You'll be an inspector, have no fear (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I don't want to cause no fuss (Too much, the Magic Bus)
But can I buy your Magic Bus? (Too much, the Magic Bus)
Nooooooooo!

I don't care how much I pay (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I wanna drive my bus to my baby each day (Too much, the Magic Bus)
*[Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
Give me a hundred (Magic Bus)
I won't take under (Magic Bus)
Goes like thunder (Magic Bus)
It's a four-stage wonder (Magic Bus)

Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
I want it, I want it, I want it...(You can't have it!)
Think how much you'll save...(You can't have it!)]
I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it ... (You can't have it!)

Thruppence and sixpence every day
Just to drive to my baby
Thruppence and sixpence each day
'Cause I drive my baby every way

Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus...
I want the Magic Bus, I want the Magic Bus, I want the Magic Bus...

I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I drive my baby every way (Too much, the Magic Bus)
Each time I go a different way (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I want it, i want it, I want it, I want it ...

Every day you'll see the dust (Too much, the Magic Bus)
As I drive my baby in my Magic Bus (Too much, the Magic Bus)

The Who

Jon said...

The window doesn't open and the fan is broke
And my face is turning blue (Yeah)
I haven't been in a crowd like this
Since I went to see the Who
Well I should've got off a couple miles ago
But I couldn't get to the door
There isn't any room for me to breathe
And now we're gonna pick up more yeaaah

Weird Al Yankovic

Anonymous said...

Q: What would happen if a Morrisville sports star was found to be living outside of the district?


Did we get a payment yet?