Countdown to April 29 to PERMANENTLY close M. R. Reiter. Ask the board to see the 6 point plan.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

From the Mailbag

Another satisfied customer...

Dear STS--

Thanks for the job you're doing. Please consider printing this.

I am so tired of hearing how Morrisville test scores "stink" and the students and teachers are all under-performing slackers. Here was another uninformed and ignorant comment today about how the schools system is completely responsible for the decline of Morrisville's home values.

"Borows, you're right again. But how do we increase property values and improve our borough at the same time? It's easy, have an excellent school district with outstanding test scores. Then everything would fall into place. Better businesses and families would flock here. The trouble is no matter how much money is pumped into that school district the test scores stink and people don't want to live here because of that. So instead of the bloggers being worried about money (lord knows we've had plenty, 20k per student) why don't you consider ways to improve academics in the schools?"

I won't speculate on who anonymous is. I'll tell you right now that I am proud of the education my two children have received in this district, from kindergarten to the present. I have one child who completed 11th grade and one who completed 9th.

I can only speak to what I know. I know I have worked hard as a parent to ensure how my children learn and what they learn. I know that the Morrisville teachers have been uniformly one of the most dedicated and experienced groups of people I have had the pleasure to work with. I have had dealings with the present administration and find them to also be extremely dedicated and responsive. I'm still waiting for the current board of education to get back to me on items from January.

I had a good education in a middle sized district in central New Jersey. My SAT and NJ evaluation test scores were pretty darned good back in 1978 and 79. My son's SAT and PSSA scores are just as good and better in many areas. My daughter's PSSA scores are also excellent, and I'm expecting her to exceed my SAT scores.

I'll sit down with you, Anonymous, and we can take the placement tests together.

The test scores across the country are lower. That makes it an American problem, not only a Morrisville problem. Assuming that every teacher is at fault for this is ludicrous. Assuming that throwing money at the problem is the answer is also ludicrous. What is needed here is a solid and sober look at how to make things better, not tearing them apart for the sake of tearing them apart.

The problem here is leadership. The school board has abandoned any sense of leadership by slashing and burning their way through the oversight of the schools. The aim is to have a takeover of the school system by anyone else, no matter how it is achieved. Ignorance is not bliss and solving problems by ignoring them or handing them over to someone else is no solution. After reading those stories about the Arkansas district's problems, why would we want to try the same thing?

A leadership problem also exists on the boro council. A great example of the lack of leadership is Gateway. Instead of letting the process do the job, they simply abdicated responsibility and wanted problems to go away. The boro council is responsible for the condition of Morrisville's tax base. Instead of slash and burn, here it's just inaction and indifference. Thinking that with a better school system, everything will "fall into place" sounds just like the prevailing ostrich style thinking of the boro council.

5 comments:

Peter said...

Spot on.

Kevin L said...

I neglected to mention two other hardworking people. My children. The parents and the teachers provide the education. It's up to the student to do their part. I'm proud of what they have both accomplished already.

They are the reason that I get so unhappy when I hear someone bashing the students. I can't speak for anyone else, but my children work hard. They have two or three hours of homework many evenings. That's on top of their band, sports, and club activities. They are both near the top of their classes and they didn't get there by accident. Neither did the friends that they have who work just as hard.

When you bash the students collectively, to me they have a face. They look like my kids, and I tend to take it a bit personally.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what kind of student the submitter was when he or she was a teen. I'm willing to bet he or she did poorly but always expected the system to provide whatever was needed. Now as adults, people like this person, dissatisfied with test scores for tests he or she would likely fail, use them as weapons to discredit a system they neither understand nor are willing to support. That's the real bottom line. They get theirs, so screw everyone else. Nice, huh?

Jon said...

Well, it looks like something's finally being done for the first time ever in the history of the Morrisville School District to get the percentage of Trenton-based students below 40%, 50%, 60%, 80%, or whatever massively high percentage it is. "Just settle on a number Jon, would you?", you ask me as I'm sitting at the breakfast table, a bottle of Heinz ketchup prominently displayed. OK, 57% it is!


Morrisville evening registrations for new students

Posted in News on Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 at 3:15 pm by Courier Times reporter Manasee Wagh

Morrisville School District will be holding evening registrations for new students enrolling in grades K to 12 at the Morrisville Middle-Senior High School, 550 West Palmer St. Registrations will be held on August 27th, September 3rd and September 4th from 6:00pm to 9:00pm.

Parents or legal guardians must be present to enroll students and provide:

A lease with name of student(s) or deed, tax bill or mortgage payment stub

A PA driver’s license


Utility bills

Moving permit

Birth certificate

Social security card for the student

Report card

Immunization record

Withdrawal card from the previous school

Anonymous said...

Im willing to bet that the anonymous commenter, doesn't have kids at all!
I also agree, if they do have kids, they fully expect the system to fix their short comings!