Countdown to April 29 to PERMANENTLY close M. R. Reiter. Ask the board to see the 6 point plan.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Nepotism?

I know nothing about Eric Hellmann other than that he is the son of William Hellman, CPA. However, does a genetic inheritance guarantee that you'll be good at doing Dad's former job?

Morrisville Council: Monday, Dec. 17

Issue: Accept resignation of Will Hellman as borough controller and appoint his son Eric Hellman to fill the unexpired term.

Vote: Approved unanimously.

Nepotism has always made me uncomfortable. As gifted as John Adams was, John Quincy had to prove himself. Not all of John and Abagail's kids were quite as successful as JQ was.

Maybe Eric will be as successful as William Hellman, CPA, and just as possibly, maybe not. But when the Borough Council advertises the filial connection as stongly as they did, I have to ask why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I am no fan of the Hellman family, however, Bill's son was elected by the good people of Morrisville in the last election. He wasn't hand-picked by Council. He ran unopposed for the position.

Save The School said...

Hmmm...now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing another Hellmann on the ballot. My feelings on nepotism have always been pretty clearly set against it, but West Virginia has its Byrds, Massachusetts its Kennedys, etc.

Jon said...

Just curious, is that Eric Hellmann, CPA, or is he a mere mortal?

And as far as family political dynasties go, let's not forget Connectitexafloribunkport and its Bushes. George W. had a CPA too, the Coalition Provisional Authority, run by L. Paul Bremer. He did such a great job he got the Presidential Medal of Freedom, at the same time Gen. Tommy Franks and George "CIA" Tenet got theirs.

Bring out the Hellmanns and bring out the best!

And can someone break out an abacus and figure out how many "n's" there really are in Hellmannnnnnn?

Anonymous said...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but wouldn't Hellman's kid be Hellboy?

Anonymous said...

If I remember the voters guide correctly, I do not recall that he has a college degree, nor do I recall CPA initials being a part of his bio. I could be wrong, but I remember thinking that, just like for our tax collector, no licenses, degrees, etc. are required for the position. Essentially, you in no way need to be qualified. Did you know that our District Justices don't need to have law degrees? In fact, many of them don't (fortunately the one in Morrisville does have a law degree, and he's a good guy).

Save The School said...

Please do nnot make funn of my keyboard. It has a slight stutterinng problem whennever ann "NN" is used.I have beenn innformed that the correct spelling is Hellmannnn with 2 NN's.

CPA is still spelled with zero NN's.