Countdown to April 29 to PERMANENTLY close M. R. Reiter. Ask the board to see the 6 point plan.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The teacher sucks!

Just like Labor Day is followed by opening day at the education emporium, the plaintive cry of "the teacher sucks!" is soon to be heard. It's usually after the first quiz or test is provided to the student and is spawned by a grade lower than expected.

Just like everywhere else, there are good teachers and bad, as well as good and bad parents, and good and bad school board members. Sometimes "good" and "bad" are a matter of incontrovertible fact; sometimes they're a matter of perspective.

"The cop gave me a ticket!" Yeah, sometimes you're on the losing side of that speed trap argument, and sometimes you're pedal-to-the-metal bat-out-of-hell speeding too.

"The boss gave me a bad review!" Yeah, sometimes personalities just don't mix and even Mother Theresa would be rated as needing to work on her people skills, and sometimes a quiet introspective moment would reveal that, yeah, you're not doing it right.


The comic strip Frazz reminds us this morning that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's darkest before the dawn, and education is the responsibility of the RECEIVER to obtain the education they need.

Channeling our intrepid lyric quoters for a moment, think about this snip from "Nothing", part of the "A Chorus Line" soundtrack. It's OK to say "the teacher sucks". Maybe they do. Would someone looking in from the outside say "the student sucks!"?

And Karp kept saying,
"Morales, I think you should transfer to Girl's High,
You'll never be an actress, Never!" Jesus Christ!

Went to church, praying, "Santa Maria,
Send me guidance, send me guidance,"
On my knees.

Went to church, praying, "Santa Maria,
Help me feel it, help me feel it.
Pretty please!"

And a voice from down at the bottom of my soul
Came up to the top of my head.
And the voice from down at the bottom of my soul,
Here is what it said:

"This man is nothing!
This course is nothing!
If you want something,
Go find another class.

And when you find one
You'll be an actress."
And I assure you that's what
Fin'lly came to pass.


It's a two way street, between the educator and the student and both of them need to be doing their part.

No comments: